Monday, July 14, 2008

sunday sunday



Yesterday was Sunday and contrary to popular belief it is not the only day that I work - but it is the most concentrated working day, in that everything focuses on church. I am not sure I have had a typical Sunday yet but I will talk you through yesterday:





7.30am woke up (as usual)

8.30am woke up again (Eva hadn't properly woken up so I fell asleep again)

9am got up

there is a gap here where time is variously spent on these things: eating, praying, panicking about my sermon, choosing which clergy shirt to wear (does my bum look big in this? etc), fretting about the washing, bossing the family about, finding keys, finding sunglasses, finding bags, making a list, getting the cake ready (I took the cake I made for ordination to church for finishing), finding the keys (again) walking the 15 steps to church.

10.30am arrive in church - today I was at St John Chrysostom (hence the short walk). I was greeted with much warmth and excitement. I handed over my cake to Nell who was on kitchen duty and then prepared for the service. On this occasion preparing for the service amounted to putting my careful prepared sermon, bible and notes =under the lectern, visiting Sunday school, praying with Henry and others in the vestry and making sure I had the appropriate books.

I am still getting used to the services in both churches - every church has it's own way of doing things and it can be quite confusing but I am starting to get the hand of the various new ways.

my sermon went ok (I think), everyone seemed to be with me on it - it is always hard to distinguish between your own agenda and what God might like to have said at any given moment. I guess you put the ideas out there and hope for discernment. My Romans 8 sermon threw out a number of ideas and I got some good feedback and comments. I also got good feedback for my porter cake - which went down very well! I am not sure which went down best - sermon or cake!?

I was home by 1pm - and due out again at 2.30pm so I had some lunch and a sit down (nearly fell asleep). Some of us from both churches went to the Cathedral for a service for the visiting Lambeth Bishops who have been staying in the diocese. It was a moving service. It was great to pray with and for them. I know Lambeth is going to be a challenging time but also hope it is an opportunity for Bishops to catch-up, relax and be edified by being in communion with each other!

I was back by 5.30pm and flaked out on the sofa! That was me pretty much done for the day. I did watch George Gently on BBC1 which was a reasonable way to end the day...

1 comment:

bigdaddystevieB said...

lovely pic.... you look every inch (mm?) a member of the clergy!
love+hugs
x