Monday, July 28, 2008

the Everton telegraph

One every 3 or 4 months St Peter's church produces (and Henry publishes) a community Newspaper called the Everton Telegraph. It contains a combination of community news, funny stuff and what's happening items of interest. The paper is free (or 20p) and is delivered across the parish by volunteers who don't just shove it through the letterboxes but knock and have a chat with people who are up for it. Obviously I am new to the area so I am just meeting people for the first time but the people I have been out with know a lot of the houses and we have had some excellent conversations at the front doors. It is a great way to meet people and to get round the parish on foot.

Today four of us were out for a couple of hours doing the lower end of the parish - it was such a fine day that many people were out in their gardens and were very happy to see us. I even caught the sun a bit (and I really dislike being out in the sun...combined with the walking it was quite a challenge for me).

I am telling you this good news story because I don't want you to think that it is all doom and gloom here - the robbery really was an extreme incident (painful though it was). This is a great place to live and we are really enjoying being back home. I guess there are always disappointments in any new experience but what is important (for me anyway) is that those difficult things don't overwhelm the positive things.

We have just had a great dinner with friends outside in our city garden and are feeling tired and content. There is no place for complacency but every place for optimism.

1 comment:

just Gai said...

I'm glad to hear that you have not let recent unpleasant incidents get you down.

The newspaper, and its distribution, are an excellent idea.