Thursday, September 25, 2008

Brian makes mistakes

You may well know that I am dyslexic. I am perfectly happy with my special backward logic brain but sometimes it doesn't work very well in the world of non-dyslexics. When I am unable to explain myself to non-dyslexics, make humourous spelling mistakes, Malaprop or become clumsy (a most unhelpful additional symptom) it usually means my poor brain has been overloaded by non-dyslexic thought patterns. It is at times like these I refer to my brain as Brian.

Yesterday Brian was on top form and making mistakes all the time. I sent a top secret email to the wrong person thus blowing the secret (thankfully on this occasion it was just a special card secret). I fell over my own feet a couple of times, banged into some corners and bruised my arm and leg. I lost my temper twice over mess - papers in the wrong place and I couldn't find something I needed in a hurry (I try to create an absurdly ordered world when Brian is making mistakes). But the worst thing that Brian did yesterday was a terrible flight booking disaster. I was left in charge of booking return flights to Belfast from Liverpool for New Year. I managed to find some reasonable easyjet flights and thought I'd got it all sorted, paid for and got the receipt. It wasn't until late last night that Mark noticed that I had actually booked return flights from Belfast to Liverpool! So, Brian cost us £120 because each mistake cost £20 to rectify and because you can't speak to a person you can't negotiate!

It made me realise how difficult booking flights, making orders, and generally doing on-line buying actually is for me. I try to avoid it - or get Mark to make the final transactions and there is always a sinking feeling just after I press "make transaction"...but this was by far the worst (and expensive) on-line mistake I have made. I wonder if there is a way dyslexic people can have the agreement read out to them or if there is some way if you have particular needs you could actually speak to a real person to make bookings? I am not sure I will feel all that confident about making such transactions in the future. hey ho.

1 comment:

blue hands said...

ooh, ellen, poor you. I live in fear of pressing that "accept transaction" button in case i've made a mistake and I don't have any problems with dyslexia, so I feel for you. I hope the exercise bod has got you doing stuff to release those happy-making dolphins to make up for it!
M xx