Tuesday, October 14, 2008

jury service

If you ever get called up for jury service here are some things I would recommend you take with you:
* chocolate - they don't have any in Liverpool Crown Court which is very silly
* if you can knit take needles and wool (though some is provided) cos many ladies are knitting for Africa
* magazines and books - lots of.
* some sort of comfy - like a blanket or pillow (it is uncomfortable)
* the in-house food is rubbish so bring supplies
* flask of tea (see above)
* many people have copies of the Daily Mail or the Mirror so there is no need for these to be brought with you (best make a not of the daily mail readers and try not to engage in conversation - I had to be very stern with a man who started off on asylum seekers and it was a bit awkward. I made my excuses and have been avoiding eye contact ever since.) you might want some other newspaper...but there is a telly so you can watch bargain hunt.
* I have found mixed nuts and dried fruit quite a comfort (and found particular solace in jelly babies yesterday which went down very well with my fellow jurors - whilst we were deciding the verdict we needed sugar and I was the only person with supplies.)
* remember also to pack compassion, patience and a fair minded approach.

I have finished one jury today - guilty! I can tell you all about it now because it is over and the judge said I could. But, I can't face going through it again just now. Just to say it wasn't very nice...

I had parish duties this evening so I am very tired indeed. Best get myself off to bed.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I nearly laughed out loud at that bit about the Daily Mail man - well done for not stayiing silent!

Mind you, Jim reads the Mail on Sunday "for a laugh". I am ashamed and have tried explaining to him that it's a Nazi paper, but he just finds it so amusing. I think he thinks it's satire!

just Gai said...

I've always fancied the idea of jury service but have never been called. Mind you I don't envy your missing half term on account of it.